BST 101 Introduction to Biblical Studies: Old Testament Lecture Guide ##6-7
NOTE: This document is provided as a courtesy for a study aid only. The intent of the test and this study guide is to help the student master the lecture material in the course. There is no guarantee that all test questions will be contained here, or that all of this material will be covered in this test. The extent of the test will be communicated to the class. This document is best printed using Internet Explorer. If you are having problems viewing or printing this document, try the PDF version. Posted: 4/23/2010
1. Who was Cyrus? What was his edict?
2. When the specific word messiah ("anointed one") is used in the book of Isaiah, it is only specifically applied to what individual?
3. The first return from the exile took place under what leader?
4. Why did the people weep when the second temple was being built?
5. Who were the two post exilic leaders that the prophets said would be the new anointed ones (king and priest)?
6. The second temple was begun in what year? When was it completed?
7. What prophet(s) told the people that they had broken faith with God by violating their marriage covenant with their Israelite wives?
8. What prophet proclaimed that God hates divorce?
9. What prophet(s) inspired the people to finish the temple after the exile?
10. What prophet(s) said that Elijah would return and the Day of Yahweh would take place when God would purify Judah?
11. If Ezra returned under Artaxerxes II, then he arrived in Jerusalem in what year?
12. The walls of Jerusalem were rebuilt under whom?
13. When Ezra returned from exile what did he bring with him?
14. What did Ezra do when he returned to Jerusalem?
15. What was Ezra’s vocation?
16. During the late Persian Period, what type of Jewish leaders served as Governors?
17. What is the Diaspora?
18. What happened at the Egyptian island of Elephantine?
19. What is the Talmud? Where was it written?
20. Where is Hebrew Poetry found in the Old Testament?
21. The chief characteristic of Hebrew poetry is parallelism, which is what?
22. Define and be able to recognize synonymous parallelism.
23. Define and be able to recognize antithetical parallelism.
24. Define and be able to recognize synthetic parallelism.
25. Define and be able to recognize chiastic (introverted) parallelism.
26. The Book of Psalms is found in what section of the Hebrew Bible?
27. The Book of Psalms is divided into ______ smaller books like the Torah of Moses.
28. How did Bishop Lowth help us better understand the biblical Poetry?
29. How did Hermann Gunkel help us better understand the biblical Psalms?
30. The book of Psalms is sometimes called the _______________ of the second temple.
31. What was the original setting of individual psalms in Israel?
32. What type of musical directions are usually found in the psalm headings?
33. The headings in the book of psalms reading literally “to” or for David" probably originally meant what?
34. What are the purposes of the narrative expansions (about David) found at the beginning of some psalms?
35. The largest group of Psalms (60 out of 150) are what types of psalms?
36. What does the Hebrew word “hallelujah" mean, and how does it function in the psalms?
37. What is the motive clause in Hebrew psalms of praise (hymns)?
Identify the ideal structure of the following four Psalm types:
40. Hymn of Praise
41. Salvation History
42. What are the major books of Wisdom in the Writings (Kethubim) of the Old Testament?
43. What are the major books of Wisdom in the Apocrypha?
44. What are some examples of Wisdom experience in everyday life?
45. What are the sources of Wisdom?
46. Conventional Wisdom comes in what forms?
47. What does it mean to say that wisdom is contextual?
48. What does it mean to say that wisdom is “theoretically true?”
49. What are the implications of the two above statements?
50. What are some examples of “Challenging Wisdom?”
51. What is the major characteristic of challenging wisdom teach?
52. What is the message of Job?
53. What are some of the major teachings of Qohelet?
54. What is the Hellenistic Era? With what did it begin?
55. What are the backgrounds of the "death", water, and chaos imagery often found in the pslams?
56. Hellenistic culture was characterized by the spread of what?
57. What was the background of Alexander the Great?
58. What were Alexander the Greats’ primary concerns wherever he went?
59. What were the circumstances behind the building of the Samaritan Temple on Mt. Gerizim?
60. What happened to his empire after Alexander died?
61. What was the Ptolemaic empire?
62. What was the Seleucid empire?
63. What circumstances surrounded the building of the Samaritan Temple?
64. Where was this temple built, and when was it destroyed?
65. What type of Jewish leaders were in charge during the Hellenistic Era?
66. What ruler placed an altar to Zeus in the Jerusalem Temple (he was the "sinful root" in 1 Macc)?
67. What was the desolating sacrilege mentioned in Daniel and 1 Macc?
68. How were the Jewish people treated under Antiochus IV Epiphanes?
69. How were Jewish High Priests designated, or chosen during this time?
70. During Seleucid rule, the High Priest Joshua did what?
71. What were the three responses of Jews who wanted to remain faithful under the Greeks?
72. Who were the Hasidim, and what did they do?
73. What solution to persecution did the book of Daniel offer?
74. What Hasmonean priest led a rebellion against the Greek leaders?
75. Who was Judah Maccabeus? What did his nickname mean?
76. What two Messiahs did some Jewish people expect? Why two?
77. What were the probable circumstances behind the founding of the community at Qumran?
78. What is the background for the Jewish feast of Hanukah? Where is it mentioned in the Bible?
79. What Jewish leader(s) were designated "King and High Priest"?
80. What Roman leader claimed Palestine for the Roman Empire?
81. How and when did the Romans gain control of Palestine?
82. What man sided with Julius Caesar in the early in the Roman era, and was also the father of Herod the Great?
83. What is Hellenism? How did it enter Jewish religion and culture?
84. Give some examples of how Greek ideas entered Judaism in the Hellenistic period.
85. What type of dualism entered Judaism at this time, how is it different from earlier biblical thought (and dualism)?
86. What is the general background for apocalyptic literature?
87. What are some of the chief characteristics of Apocalyptic literature?
88. Why is Apocalyptic literature pseudonymous?
89. Why is Apocalyptic literature "sealed until the end times"?
90. What is the biblical background for the Son of Man figure in Genesis, the story of Israel, and the psalms?
91. Who does the Son of Man represent in Dan 7?
92. What does the word "Pharisee" probably mean?
93. What were some of the teachings and concerns of the Pharisees?
94. From what High Priest does the term "Sadducee" derive from?
95. How was the Sadducees' Bible different from the Pharisees' Bible?
96. Which group believed in a resurrection from the dead?
97. Who were the "people of the land," and what did the Pharisees think of them?
98. Who were the "God fearers," what was their relationship to Judaism.
99. Who was Philo?
100. What was the function of the "oral torah"?
101. What is the Apocalyptic and Rabbinic doctrine of the two ages?